In this series of articles we overview languages present in any given country. This time we are looking at the languages spoken in Burkina Faso
The biggest languages present in Burkina Faso include:
- French – 5.02 million speakers;
- Mossi – 10.03 million speakers;
- Fula – 1.67 million speakers;
- Lobi – 418 thousand speakers;
- Bobo – 209 thousand speakers;
- Gourmanché – 1.25 million speakers;
- Bissa – 627 thousand speakers;
- Bwamu – 418 thousand speakers;
- Dagara – 418 thousand speakers;
- Samo – 418 thousand speakers;
The sole official language of the country is French.
Below you will find summaries for the languages supported by our translation services.
French is a Romance language, closely related to Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, and other languages of the same branch of the language family. It is the sole official language of Burkina Faso.
|Number of speakers worldwide||274 million|
|Major French-speaking populations in:||49 countries|
Demographics and geographic distribution
French is spoken by around 274 million people around the world. Guinean, Haitian, and Senegalese markets, for example, might be expected to use French in business and daily communications, at least to some extent.
More than 5.02 million residents of Burkina Faso understand French.
French uses the Latin alphabet. It employs the extended version of the script, however, with 16 additional symbols. It is written from left to right.
If you intend to expand to the Burkinabe market via the French language, you might be interested in the following services:
- French Document Translation
- French Desktop Publishing and InDesign Translation
- French E-Commerce Translation
We hope you have found the answers to the question about what languages are spoken in Burkina Faso“. If you wish to know more about these languages or would like to inquire about our translation services, please contact us at [email protected].